Some call it the “golden elixir”. It’s technically a prehistoric food, which has not made its way into mainstream cuisine. What is it? It’s bone broth and it's incredibly nourishing and great for your body in many ways!
7 Health Benefits of Bone Broth
1. Heals the Gut – In our last two blogs we talked about the importance of gut health and the gi tract being a second brain. Well, bone broth actually repairs the lining of the gut through its high levels of collagen. This type of collagen is called “bioavailable” because it contains collagen in a whole food form allowing it to be easily absorbed and digested.
Ever heard of leaky gut? It’s a term used to describe a condition where the lining of your intestines has mini-tears, or gaps, allowing toxins, microbes and other unwanted particles to enter into the bloodstream, leading to symptoms such as diarrhea, constipation, bloating and gas. With bone broth’s high level of collagen, these gaps can be repaired reversing a leaky gut into a healthy gut.
2. Boosts our immune system- Remember I told you that over 70% of our immune cells lie in our gut? Within bone broth are many amino acids critical for these cells including arginine, glycine, glutamine and proline.
3. Eases your achy joints – Collagen helps with symptoms of arthritis, joint pain and stiffness.
4. Strengthens your bones – By decreasing inflammation and helping nourish your immune system, your skeletal system can increase its connective tissue. Your skeletal system is a dynamic system – meaning it’s always working to turn over old bone and build new bone. Bone broth is chock full of needed minerals for bones to achieve optimal maintenance.
5. Smoother skin – Who doesn’t want less wrinkles? Skin is the body’s largest organ and keeping it healthy is critical to helping our aging process. This is due to the high amounts of absorbable collagen in bone broth.
6. Fuller hair and less brittle nails – Again, this is due to the high levels of collagen contained in bone broth.
7. Enhances exercise performance and recovery – Ever had a vigorous work-out and wanted a quick recovery solution? Bone broth is your answer. It helps the body produce antioxidants, including one very important free radical fighter known as glutathione, which helps to rebuild muscle and aids in liver detoxification. Electrolytes such as sodium and potassium, which are lost during exercise, are also replenished.
Want to go out and stock up on bone broth?
Before you head out to the market, wait for next week’s blog where I’ll help you distinguish high quality organic bone broth from lower quality, high-preservative ridden brands.